This article is also available as a video:
You can now merge custom field data to web templates. The method you follow depends on where you have saved the custom field.
You can use the table of contents below to jump relevant sections of this article:
- For Custom Fields in the General, Loan Log, Eligibility and Payment Account Standard Objects, click here.
- For Custom Fields in the Collateral, Financing Sources, Loan Entity, Loan Entity Contact Standard Objects, and for all fields in Custom Objects, click here.
- For Custom Fields in the Contact or Company Standard Objects, click here.
To access Web Templates:
- Log in to your Ventures account. From the home page, click Reports and Letters in the main menu at the top of the screen.
- When the Reports and Letters page loads, click Web Templates from the menu on the left.
- To create a new Template, click the Add button. To modify an existing template, click on the hyperlinked Document name.
- Payment Account
- On the Template Designer tab of the web template, use the "Search Merge Fields" search bar and type in the name of one of the four standard objects (listed above in this section) that the custom field you want to add is associated with. We will use the Loan Log as an example. When you find the Standard Object in the results, click it to add it to the template.
- After selecting the merge field in the dropdown, the merge field will appear in the template. It will show – Not Set – .
- Click on the merge field and a pop up will appear.
- In the pop up, use the Parameter's Fields drop down menu to select the custom field you want to set. You will see a list of all custom fields that are active in the Object you selected. Make your choice from the drop down menu.
- The Options sections will update according to the field type of the custom field. Choose how you want the data to be displayed in the template. For example, because we selected a date type field, we have a choice on how we want the date to be displayed. Depending on the type of field, you may see different options.
- When you finish making your selections, click Ok.
- You will see the "Not Set" message change to the name of the Custom Field you selected.
- Remember to click save after making changes to a template.
- Financing Sources (can filter by type in sub template)
- Loan Entity
- Loan Entity Contact
- Custom Objects
If you want to merge data from the above listed objects, you will first need to create a Sub Template. This is because the objects listed possibly have more than one record for the web template to pull data from, and may require trying to format more than one data point. For an in depth article on sub templates, please review Creating Sub-Templates within Ventures and Using a Sub-Template within a Master document KB articles.
- From the Web Templates page, click New. For instructions on how to reach this page, please review the beginning of the article.
- In the pop up that appears, Enter a name, then select Sub Template from the Template Type drop down menu.
- You will then need to select the object the custom field is assigned to using the Data Source Type field. The field will not unlock till a Template Type is selected.
- To use a custom field from the Loan Entity standard object, select Loan Company from the data source list.
- Custom Objects will be listed as "Loan Custom Object: (name of custom object)." Select the object you have assigned the field to.
- When you finish making your selections, review them, then click Continue.
- The sub template page will load. Ensure you are on the Template Designer Tab, then use the Search Merge Fields option to search for "Custom Field." Click on it to add it.
- You will see the added merge field in the template. It will be labeled Custom Field - Not Set - . Click on it and a pop up will appear.
- In the pop up use the "Parameters Field" to select the Custom Field you would like to include in the template. Depending on the type of field, you may have some formatting options. Make you sure you specify how your data is presented. When you finish making your selections, click Ok.
- You will see the name of the field you selected replace the - Not Set- message. Continue to build the sub template as needed, when you finish, click Save.
- After the sub template is complete, you can add it to a main loan data source template using the "Search Merge Fields" function. On the Template Designer tab of the main template, search for the name of the sub template. Click it to add it to the template.
- Click Save when you finish building the main template.
- In a main web template, in the Template Designer tab, search for a contact or company type merge field. You can find instructions on how to reach a main web template at the top of this article. We will use the Primary Lender Contact merge field as an example. Click it to add it.
- The field will appear in the template. It will say - Not Set-. Click on it, and a pop up will appear.
- In the pop up, in the "Parameter's Field" drop down, select Custom Field.
- A second parameters field will appear. Select the custom field you would like to include related to the company or contact type.
- Based on the field selected, you may have some options to specify that dictate how the data from the custom field is presented, make sure you select the option you would like in the Options section.
- Review your selections and click Ok.
- You will return to the template builder page. You should see the words custom field and the name of the field you selected replace the -Not Set- message.
- Finish building the template and click Save.
Important to note - When a custom field is added to a Web Template and then later the name of the field changes, the merge field name in Web Templates will not update unless the user goes into the existing merge field and updates it manually. The data will still merge correctly with the previously named merge field, however.